Thursday, October 8, 2009

In Rainy Kampala

I am in Kampala for an abrupt monthly sales meeting and Regional editors' meeting. I was not expecting to attend the rgional vernucular newspapers' editors meeting that included the two ne radio stations' news editors and programme managers. I expected to be in Kampala next week, though, for the monthly sales meeting.
I arrived in Kamapala at 1am Tuesday night having left Lira by bus at 5.30 pm. The reason for using the bus is obvious; my official vehicle got involved in an accident mid Monday morning and is awaiting lifting to Kampala for repair.
The last four days have been tough days for me on how to get around and perform my official duties without an official vehicle. The rainy weather has not been so supportive in that direction. Right now I should be out of head office doing some window shopping in town of at the Uganda manuifacturers' Association International Trade fair at Lugogo but I am stuck in here becuase it is raining. I have so many other commitments; like debt collection and some private work back home in Tororo that I just cannot do without a vehicle.
On the other hand, though, it has been interesting geting back to the real life of commuting by taxi from home in Entebbe to head office in Kamapala these two days. I had a nap in a traffic jam after browsing a few chapters of some magazine that I bought a few week's ago but just could not settle down to read. That brought back memoeries of the times I was working here at head office herein Kampala.
Traffic jams were a time for to read my newspapers, books or magazines for I always carried something along for reading and eventually I dozed a bit to make up for lost sleep. And that just what I liked this morning on my way from Entebbe. I had a chance to read and relax while somebody else took care of the wheel and the stress of that comes with haywire driving in Kampala traffic jams.
I reached office fresh and enlightened on a few health and fitness issues from the magazine that I perused and I did not have to doze in the meeting. That has been the upside of having no car to drive, at least today. The down side was, I had to listen to may loud mobile phone converstations that I did need to from some mindless passengers in the commuter taxi.
It is amazing how louder Uganda has just got. Music every where from street corners, phones and in the back of lorries from loud speakers. It is a noisy world we are living in. Thank God for a quite home to return to at the end of the day if you are lucky man like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment